Part Time Editorial/Social Media Assistant
(Los Angeles, California)
The editorial/social media assistant is a part-time position as a junior member of the editorial and marketing staff. This is a part-time position located in Los Angeles, California, that will report to the editors and publisher of FLOOD Magazine.
The assistant is responsible for the following duties:
– Laying out stories in WordPress-based Content Management System
– Assisting with copy edits and fact-checking on print and web features and reviews
– Helping to compile and maintain the list of upcoming albums, films, and TV shows for editorial consideration
– Composing op-eds, reviews, and features as assigned by the editor-in-chief and associate editor
– Working with editor-in-chief and associate editor to determine social media posting calendar for features (both posting times/dates and content of posts)
– Maintaining the consistent flow of social media posts from all FLOOD accounts (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc.), including scheduling posts to run on nights and weekends
– Identifying improvable areas in current social media executions and working to develop and improve social media strategy
– Researching and strategizing social media best practices
– Assembling the weekly national and city newsletters
– Assembling playlists on streaming outlets as assigned
– Uploading and tagging event photos when needed
– Assisting with events when needed
– Manage contests and giveaways in coordination with marketing/agency contacts and publicists
– Supporting related social media promotion when applicable
– Assisting with RSVPs and events in coordination with the appropriate marketing, agency, and design contacts
– Supporting associate editor with related social media promotion/coordination
To apply, please send us your resume, three to five writing samples (preferably across a few different subjects a la our website categories), and a cover letter to the attention of senior editor Marty Sartini Garner (email@example.com).
(Los Angeles, California)
FLOOD is looking for editorial interns who are passionate about music, film, television, food/drink, technology, fashion, video games, sports, literature, and just about anything else under the sun. Interns will work side by side with FLOOD editors on a daily basis with responsibilities that include researching and writing news posts, transcribing interviews, assisting at FLOOD events, and copy-editing reviews and features, in addition to various office duties. This is not a “get our coffee/make copies” kind of position: we’re looking for applicants who are interested in a unique learning experience and gaining editorial skills for the future.
Editorial interns work fifteen to twenty hours a week (two to three days a week) at FLOOD HQ in Los Angeles. The internship runs in three cycles per year: Winter/Spring (January–May), Summer (June–August), and Fall/Holiday (September–December). FLOOD does not provide travel or housing assistance for internships. Interns must be able to receive academic credit for completing this internship. Note: this is an unpaid position.
– Currently pursuing a college degree in journalism, writing, English, or any other related field
– Currently within/planning to be in an academically sanctioned internship program
– Strong background in writing and the editorial process
– Working knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style
– Ability to travel to the FLOOD offices in Los Angeles two to three times a week
Please send us your resume, three to five writing samples (preferably across a few different subjects a la our website categories), and a brief cover letter that includes your favorite albums, films, TV shows, and books from the past year.
– Winter/Spring 2016: January 31
– Summer 2016: April 6
– Fall/Holiday 2016: August 22
Send your completed application to the attention of senior editor Marty Sartini Garner at firstname.lastname@example.org
No calls, please.